Calypte is a cost-effective solution that gives you rate-monitored connectivity between Tachyon nodes and between Tachyon nodes and your core network.
If you don’t need unlimited speed all the time, Calypte lets you choose a burstable data rate while still giving you the benefit of dark fibre. There is no hard limit on the bandwidth – your traffic can exceed the chose data rate for short periods – and you can permanently upgrade or downgrade your bandwidth without penalties. Together with Tachyon, Peregrine, and Helios, it enables you to design your network in the most cost-effective way.
With Calypte, you can connect your core sites to our Tachyon aggregation nodes, giving you predictable performance to and from your core network. Calypte Metro provides cost-effective connectivity through rate-monitoring, while Calypte Long Haul specifically caters for backhaul and long-haul connectivity between your sites and DFA aggregation sites.
|Connectivity options||Tachyon to Tachyon
Tachyon to customer access sites
Metro to submarine landing stations (Long Haul)
Teraco Isando to a Tachyon node in Durban (Long Haul)
Teraco Riverhorse Valley to a Tachyon node in Johannesburg
Teraco Isando to a Tachyon node in Pietermaritzburg (Long Haul)
|Once-off connection fee||Yes|
Line-of-sight distance lease + data rate cost
|Discount criteria||Lease term|
5, 10, or 15 years
|Fibre pair options||Single|
|Interface options||1Gbit/s /
|Throughput options||Between 15Mbit/s and 1Gbit/s (10Gbit/s available on request)
50Mbit/s to 10Gbit/s (Long Haul)
|Redundancy||Diverse links available on request|
|Service level||4-hour mean time to repair|
|Fault monitoring||Main route|
Terms and conditions
- Calypte Metro is only available within a 5km proximity of a Tachyon nodes.
- Consequently, one of the termination points must always be a Tachyon node.
- You are responsible for providing a suitable termination facility on your premises
- The maximum throughput achievable on a Calypte link is dependent on the interface capacity.
- Throughput on Calypte links will be monitored.
- Throughput monitoring is transparent, and does not limit the throughput rate of the service in any way.
- Should your throughput exceed the option ordered for a period longer than five consecutive minutes, on more than three occasions during the 30-day measuring period, the higher throughput bracket, with its associated tariff, will apply.
- DFA will notify you of this change before billing occurs.
- You may permanently upgrade to a higher throughput bracket at any time without penalty.
- The term for the upgraded link will be the remainder of the initial link term.
- You can upgrade to a Peregrine link without any penalty.
- Volume discounts aren’t applicable to Calypte, but term discounts are.
- A once-off administration fee of R540 applies for upgrades or downgrades.
- Two distinct Calypte links from the same building may not terminate in separate Tachyon nodes.
- Downgrades, decommissioning and replacement links:
- No penalties apply for downgrades where the downgraded speed of the link is more than half of the original Calypte order speed.
- A 60-day notice period applies for downgrades.
- Only two downgrades are permitted in a twelve-month period.
- Penalties do apply for decommissioning links before the end of their lease term and are detailed in the lease agreement.
- Penalties might be waived if a replacement link order is placed at the time of an early link decommissioning (for the same or higher monetary value as the decommissioned link).
- Replacement link orders must be “on net” and the replacement link is subject to a new full
- Each distinct replacement link lease term will be treated as a new lease and as such, start from a new inception date.